Saturday, February 26, 2011

Five Finger Discount

        Well, it has been about a month since my last post, and to all of you that follow me, I am sorry. My goal was to make an update every week, however there were some circumstances that kept me from doing that. So thank you for staying interested and sticking in there with me. I have got some exciting plans for this blog over the next few weeks, I want to branch out from just my thoughts on life, and try to highlight problems that I encounter and how I get around them. For those of you that know me, you know that I am very involved in multimedia, whether it be photography, video, or even motion graphics and design, so you might see a few tutorials in the future, hopefully solving some problems that people encounter daily.
     
        However this week I want to do something that I have never done before, which is a product review.

        Over the past few years, there has been a big popularity increase in barefoot running, and in 2005 Vibram brought to the market their now widely popular five finger shoes. It seems about everybody has voiced their opinion about these shoes, from the recreational runner to the ultra-marathoner. Every article that I read seemed to be the exact opposite as the former, which didn't help me at all decide where I would stand in the mix. So, in an effort to find out where the military stands on the subject, I found an article where the leaders of the Armed Forces voiced their opinions about these shoes, and their opinions varied as much as anyone else. So, I purchased some five finger shoes to see what all the hype was about, and to form an opinion for myself.
       I want to preface my review with saying, that I am by no means a running expert, I do run quite a bit, but mostly to train for the Marine Corps physical fitness test, and possibly a triathlon. I have been using these shoes for about six weeks, running 20-25 miles a week, at distances varying from 1/2 to 6 miles. This is the experience that formed my opinion.
      
Walking = 9/10
    I highly recommend these shoes for people that are going to use them primarily for walking, whether it be for exercise or recreation. They are very comfortable and convenient to slip on and off. Although be aware of the terrain, because gravel can be a bit uncomfortable.

Jogging = 6.5/10
    I dont recommend these shoes for the active jogger, because the nature of jogging is very hard on your knees, and the lack of cushion will, in my opinion, put an even bigger strain on your knees. On that note, I don't really recommend jogging as an exercise anyway, there are studies that show jogging as more of a detriment to your progress than it is a help.

Running = 4/10
    For serious running or training in any regard I don't really recommend these shoes. This is running at more than 75% your max ability. My biggest pet peeve is that the lack of cushion forces me to watch every step to make sure that I don't step on a rock or in a pothole. This forces me to be more aware of the running itself rather than the training or my destination, which I believe causes me to run slower if I am more cautious.

In the gym = 9/10
    Because of the comfort level of the shoes, I seriously do recommend these shoes for any sort of gym workout. The comfort is much more than any traditional shoe and the freedom of movement of your individual toes allows for a much more stable base when working with heavy weights. The majority of my gym experience is based off of doing crossfit. I really like wearing these shoes when I do that sort of workout. Also, if you are a big bike rider, stationary or otherwise, I don't recommend these at all.

        There are a ton of variables that you can't account for in any situation, so this is by no means the gospel on Vibram five finger shoes, this is just my opinion based on my experience. I do, however, hope that this helped anyone that might be on the fence about making a purchase. Just remember, everybody in unique and your needs and experiences might differ from mine. If you are interested in trying them out I say go for it, but for me, I probably won't buy another pair.
      
Thanks for Reading
-Phillip

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave it here and I will try and respond as fast as possible. Also, as you read, I plan to possibly do some tutorials, if you are in the multimedia field and have a idea or a problem that you need help with, feel free to leave it in the comment, and maybe I will do a tutorial about it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment