Friday, December 31, 2010

L.O.L. as a resolution.

        I was watching television the other day and caught myself doing something that I don't do nearly enough, laughing out loud, it was nothing more than a small chuckle, but at the end of an especially trying workday I found that this simple involuntary action was a much needed relief, and made the rest of my day easier to deal with. I try not to, but all too often, I use my current environment as an excuse to have a poor attitude, and although I would like to say that it is because I am away from my family. I can't really admit that is the reason, because I know that I would be the same way if I was at home. You see, I am an all too serious person and I know that the rigors of everyday life, either at home or abroad, get to me and affect my personality.  I am sure that everyone is aware of the "laughter is the best medicine" saying, and in fact there have been numerous studies made on behalf of this. Laughing out loud has been proven to improve the circulation of blood flow which can boost the cardiovascular system and help protect against heart attack. Laughing also increases immune cells and infection fighting antibodies, which in turn makes you more resistant to diseases. But for me, these reasons aren't enough. What I noticed that day, was that not only did I feel better, but I liked myself more. I discovered that when I am in a good mood, I like hanging out with me, and I believe that this is a pivotal step in becoming the person I want to be.
      
        I don't like the idea of making a "New Year's Resolution" because I think that if a change needs to be made, it needs to be implemented immediately. I also don't like the idea, that the quality of an entire year is a direct reflection of whether or not I have enough follow through to: go to the gym twice a week, or spend more time with my family, or whatever I may have told myself would make me a better person. I know that change, especially within ourselves, is a long, and sometimes painful, process. So I like to start it as soon as possible, understanding that I will, more than likely, falter along the way. So, after considering all this, I realized that I would have to make a decision, not just a resolution. As much as I wish I could just become more positive, it is much more difficult than I imagined, but I am trying. I have learned a few tricks to hopefully get me off on the right foot:

1.  Try and laugh at rough situations rather than let them negatively affect you. As a member of the U.S. Armed Forces I often get tasked with jobs that are less than ideal, often at the last minute. (one of which is keeping me up as I write this)

2. Surround yourself with reminders to lighten up. Some may say that I have a sick sense of humor, but I have a small poster near my work area that whenever I look at it, it makes me laugh. It says, "When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die."

3. Laugh at yourself. This I feel is quite possibly the most important, don't let the way that other people perceive you effect the way that you feel about yourself. After all, you cant take life too serious, or you'll never make it out alive.

Thanks for reading.
-Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment