Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Suicide Catcher

        In a city that boasts over 5.5 million people, Nanjing, China is home to a man that consistently risks his life for strangers. In a country that is among the top in the world for reported suicides a very good majority occur from a four mile long bridge that spans the Yangtze River. Mr. Chen is a humble man that stands watch from the south post of this bridge, keeping a watchful eye for weary souls ready to end their existence. He has made it his duty, to get to them before they can make the last decision of their lives. Mr. Chen is in no way a law enforcement professional, he does not work for any sort of institution, or department, or active group that supports suicide prevention. He is just Mr. Chen. He is just a man. but, if actions do indeed speak louder than words, his actions scream hero. 174 is the last reported number of people that he has been accredited with saving, although I am sure that there are more than that. Mr. Chen notes that there are very different ways that he approaches people. Some he has to be very hostile with, while others it takes convincing. Regardless, of the way they are saved there is a dedicated few that meet every year around Christmas to celebrate their new lives, and as a part of the celebration, the rescued calculate there new ages from the date of their salvation. No one is older than six. Mr. Chen is a silent hero, a self proclaimed Suicide Catcher.

        There is an endless amount of things that we could learn from this "suicide catcher", but what I gleaned from the story was that Mr. Chen is just a regular guy. He is not, nor does he consider himself to be extraordinary in any way. So what then separates Mr. Chen from others, what makes him different from me? I think that there is a very simple answer to that question. Mr. Chen holds human life at the utmost importance. I think (and you will here this a lot from me) that the key to a happy and a successful life is believing in something greater than yourself. Whether that is religion, or patriotism, or culture, tradition, or saving strangers from themselves, it doesn't matter. Believing in something outside ourselves changes our actions and the way that we approach life and the world around us. It is said that it is better to give than to receive, I believe that it is better to give of yourself. There is no reward like the one that is received when you make the right choice, and dedicating yourself to that proposition. One of the biggest problems that I see today is that the majority of people doing good are looking to be recognized for it. People like Mr. Chen are all over the world, unsung heroes of the everyday. Not asking for what they think that they deserve. Only doing what is right, because they know that it is right. I hate to say this, but because of all the horrible news, and the stories I hear because of what I do, too often I lose faith in humanity and I feel like, if I could, I would flood the world too. But every so often, not nearly enough, I am reminded that there are people out there like Mr. Chen who stand watch day after day ready to pull us back as soon as we go astray. This reminder makes me proud, proud to know that all though I might get paid by the government, I work for the people, and among those people, there are quiet heroes, and should I ever go astray I believe that there will be someone there to pull me back.

1 comment: